The Pier is one of the most popular Polish leisure & event facilities, a showcase of the spa.

The facility consists of 2 parts: wooden and land ones.

The land part (Bathers Square) is a lot covering the area of 20 thousand square meters, where you can find: a gorgeous historic fountain, a lighthouse with a vantage point, a bandshell, gastronomic points and plenty of greenery. The square can facilitate organisation of mass events of up to 6 thousand people, and in winter there is an ice-skating rink here. It is the only one place in Sopot for organising big promotion events and BTL actions.

The wooden (pedestrian) part covers, apart from the main jetty ( 511.5 m of which 458 m reach into the Gdańsk Bay), lower decks and a side deck, which enable mooring of passenger ships. Since 2011, at the Pier head there has been operating a marina, which can accommodate 100 boats.

Iodine concentration at spots reaching farthest into the sea is twice as great as on land.

Tickets 2020/2021

Free admission until April 23, 2021.

* * *

  • Information from the following sources has been used in the map legend:
  • * “Sopockie Molo” by Marek Klat i Jarosław Mykowski, Oficyna Pomorska 1997
  • * “Sopockie Molo – krótka historia nieskończoności” by Wojciech Fułek & Maciej Szemelowski, Wydawnictwo Kallisto 2005
  • * “Polskie latarnie morskie” by Marek Ledóchowski, Apoloniusz Łysejko and Maciej Sokół, Blue Media 2000 (cd-rom)
  • * technical documentation from the City Hall in Sopot.


At the junction of the Bathers House and the Sheraton Hotel there is a bandshell with an auditorium for 500 people, where most concerts organised at the Pier take place. The first such stage was located in the southern part of the Bathers Square in 1910, but in 1913 there was erected another construction od this type, this time located in the north-eastern corner of the square. However, after 1928, as a result of building new pedestrian galleries from the seaside, this construction was disassembled as well. In 1930, yet another, third bandshell was built in the north-western corner. The last construction has fortunately survived and serves us till the present day.

Performances at the bandshell can be admired, among others, from the Bathers House terraces. It is the fourth already building of this type in this place: the first two were erected in 1824 and 1881 and were based on a wooden structure, and the third, the most fabulous one, was built in 1910. In 1920, a casino was opened here, from which the profits were so big, that thanks to them major repairs of the whole Pier were financed (1927-1928), and even the erection of Neubau Kasino Hotel, thus the later famous Grand Hotel.

The building of the bathers house was destroyed in 1945, already after the encroachment of the Red Army. There remained only a rotunda, which was incorporated into the pavilion of the National Art Gallery erected in this place. For many years the rotunda hosted a successful restaurant with a beautiful view of the Pier. Currently, both institutions (NAG and the restaurant) have found their location in the new Bathers House.





The fountain in the Bathers Square was first commissioned in 1881, and then it was rebuilt in 1912 and has been functioning in practically unaltered shape till today. In the years 2011-2012 major repair works were conducted, during which a modern, computer-controlled pump and lights system was installed.

On the corners of the fountain basin there are four pedestals with three sculptures showing a story of two cherubs’ romance. The fourth sculpture is missing; some Sopot inhabitants claim that it can be found somewhere in the bushes of the spa area…



The area between the Bathers House and the pedestrian jetty, since the very beginning has been used to serve the bathers. As early as in 1827 bath pavilions and changing rooms were arranged here in a semicircle. Thus a small square was created, from the middle of which the first pier (31.5 m) ran into the sea. The square was settled during the construction works of the second bathers house (1881), and the contemporary shape was given to it during rebuilding works in the years 1927-1928.

The development of land infrastructure at the turn of XIX and XX century resulted in the appearance of numerous popular entertainment initiatives, among others, promenade concerts performed by “Kurorchester” (currently this tradition is continued by Sopocka Orkiestra Promenadowa) and festivals such as Baths festival (Badefest) or Sopot Sports Weeks (Zoppoter Sportwoche).

During the times of Polish People’s Republic, entertainment activity was restricted, however, it is worth mentioning that the first Miss Polonia contest (1956) and the 1st Jazz Music Festival in Sopot (also in 1956) took place here. Older inhabitants of Sopot probably also remember ballet performances in the historic fountain. A turning point took place towards the end of the 80s last century, when a “Festival of Youth” with the participation of rock bands (e.g. Lady Pank and Maanam) hosted almost 20 thousand people (this remains a record attendance at any event at the Pier – unlikely to be broken due to the currently effective regulations concerning mass events safety).



Initially the place was called “solarium”, but the presently used name (frying pan) even more clearly specifies the nature of the place, where on sunny days one can “get bronzed” on the benches fixed to the railings without being exposed to the wind from the sea.

The frying pan is a wooden platform measuring 42 x 54.5 m mounted on bearing piles and suspender over the beach. It is separated from the Bathers Square by a railing (from here, admission is payable in the summer season); on the other side the main jetty starts. On both sides, Sopot beaches can be clearly seen.

Towards the end of 2005 the frying pan underwent major repairs and was practically built anew.

Within the frying pan there are currently gastronomic gardens of two restaurants: Laguna Smaku and Rybna Ferajna, and each year (in July and August) summer cinema shows take place here.



Roofed and glassed colonnade protecting the bathers from wind, was commissioned in the present shape in 1928 after the greatest repair works in the Pier history.

Currently, in the left section there are stands offering souvenirs, amber and silver.

At the end of the left arcades there is a building with the Pier ticket booths, a shop with silver and amber, and the Rybna Ferajna restaurant on the first floor.



Roofed and glassed colonnade protecting the bathers from wind, was commissioned in the present shape in 1928 after the greatest repair works in the Pier history.

Currently, in the right section there are gastronomic points with a view of the beach and the sea.

At the end of the right arcades there is a building with the Laguna Smaku restaurant.



The central point of the Pier, its main attraction. In the past it was also called a “core”, “pirs” or “steg”, but none of those names is functioning in colloquial language; sometimes the main jetty is simply referred to as “pier” (with a small letter, unlike the name of the whole facility, which is written with a capital letter).

The main jetty consists of the upper deck and three lower decks. The upper deck is over 350.2 m long and its basic width is 10.10 m, which extends to 26 m and 15 m at the balconies and small galleries located symmetrically on both sides of the deck. Next to some balconies there are stairs leading to the lower decks, where ships and water taxis moor. The whole construction is mounted on specifically impregnated (protection against biological factors) pine bearing piles with a diameter from 30 to 60 cm hammered into the seabed from 5 to 12 m deep.



The side deck of the Pier, the spur, was built in 1928 (the design had existed since 1880) as a breakwater, and at the same time an additional pier for mooring yachts and small ships, but with time the place has been seized by sunbathing enthusiasts. Just like the main jetty, it is wholly made of pine wood.

The nominal length of the spur is 132 m (its width is 5.5 m), but almost half of it was destroyed by winter storms from the years 2004-2006. The reconstruction of the jetty has been incorporated in the project of building a marina at the Pier and we can fully enjoy using it again.




The reinforced concrete head was commissioned in 1991, thus replacing the wooden structure. It is 107.45 m long and its principal task is to protect the main pedestrian jetty against storms (and it does so perfectly).

The head is also a harbour for the ships of Żegluga Gdańska and a tourist ship Pirate. Water depth reaches 12 m here. It is also a great vantage point with a view of the Tricity beaches, ships heading for the harbours of Gdańsk and Gdynia as well as locally cruising yachts, windsurfing boards and water scooters. Iodine concentration here is twice as great as on land, which has great influence on the mood, e.g. of people suffering from hyperthyroidism.

On the head there is also a building hosting the Meridian restaurant and the marina boatswain office.



Marina Sopot is located at the end of the Pier. Three basins with 103 lots: 63 lots for boats up to 10 meters and 40 lots for boats up to 24 meters. Navigating data;: 54°44’83.7 N 18°57’74.4 E. Netting call: channel no. 14 or 16. Max. harbour depth: 5 m. Max. boat length: 24 m.

The marina operator is the company Promarina Polska Sp. z o.o.

Ta strona używa ciasteczek (cookies), dzięki którym nasz serwis może działać lepiej. Dowiedz się więcej